top of page

Marriage License


You’re getting married… here’s how to make sure it’s legal!


The Centre County website has details here:


To Apply for a Marriage License in Centre County, you must go in person to the Centre County Register of Wills at the Willowbank County Office Building at 414 Holmes St. in Bellefonte. | Map

NOTE: This is NOT the Courthouse, it is in a different location. (Don’t confuse the two!)

  • To save time, you can print and fill out your application to bring it with you. You can find the application on the Centre County Website here or download the pdf here. The application is the same for all couples.

  • Make sure you’re at least 18 years of age. If you’re under 18, bring Mom or Dad with you. If you’re under 16 years of age, you’ll still need the consent of your parents or legal guardian, but a Centre County judge will be evaluating you to make sure the marriage is in your best interest. 16 years old and getting married?! You can’t even drive yet! Don’t rush into things!

  • Both you and your fiancee have to be present when applying for the marriage license.

  • You both must bring a Photo ID when applying.

  • There are no Blood Tests Required in the State of PA. (Yay! No Needles!)

  • There is a 3-day waiting period when applying for the license. This means that you apply, then 3 days later you can pick it up. You can get this waived but you need to write a letter and have the judge approve why the waiting period should be waived.

  • The license is valid for 60 days from when it was issued. That means that you need to officially get married within 2 months of when you got the license – so plan ahead!

  • If either of you were divorced previously or if a marriage was dissolved by death, make sure you bring your divorce decree and/or the date of death of the previous spouse.

  • $50 is due at the time of the application (cash, check or money order only – don’t make the trip to Bellefonte without making sure you have your $50 the way they like it!)

  • A marriage license issued anywhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is only valid in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The marriage license cannot be used in other states. This means if you live in Centre County, but getting married in Philadelphia, you can get your license either in Centre County or Philly and it will be valid - however if you live in PA and are getting married in another state, it will not be valid - you must get a license in the state where you will be married.


So once you get your license, who can actually marry you? Click Here for Wedding Officiant Information.


Contact the Register of Wills and Clerk of the Orphans’ Court if you have additional questions:

Centre County Register of Wills
Willowbank County Office Building 414 Holmes St.
Suite #2
Bellefonte, PA 16823
Phone: (814) 355-6724

bottom of page